Migrating SharePoint Environments To and From CloudShare
To get articles like this free in your inbox, subscribe to our newsletter.
One of the elements of development and testing is moving structure and content to your development and test environment. Once you build a solution, you need to move what you built back to your production environment. In the world of SharePoint, this process, depending on what type of solution you build, can be a few button clicks, or involve some coding.
The great thing about CloudShare is that ANY traditional SharePoint migration method will work, whether it’s to or from your CloudShare environment. In future posts, I will give detailed instructions with screenshots, but today, I’m going to give you an overview of your migration parts:
– Solution Packages: A solution package is a collection of content and resource files in SharePoint, which can be created on a site level or on a solution level, and behaves similar to a .zip file. Because CloudShare gives you central administration access you are able to import/export your SharePoint solution packages, just as you would with an on-premise farm. Once you have the solution, a .WSP file, simple copy it to your Cloud Folder, and you can deploy in CloudShare, or on your production farm.
– Database Detach: Because everything done in SharePoint is stored in a content database(s). You can detach your database, save it off to a file, upload that file to and from Cloud Folders.
– SharePoint Back Up Tools: Similar to database detach, SharePoint has a built-in backup system. This works off of full or incremental backups of a site, or whole web application content database. In central administration, create a backup (.bak file), upload to and from Cloud Folders, and deploy.
– PowerShell: PowerShell is the new scripting tool from Microsoft. A best practice when you start building a SharePoint deployment is to commit yourself to doing it scripted. This generates one or more PowerShell scripts that are easily transportable. Then, you’ll have the PowerShell file script that you can move from one location to another. Upload to Cloud Folders and deploy.
– 3rd Party: There are many migration third party tools out there such as Axceler, AvePoint, Syntergy, Metalogix,and more.
Bottom line: Migration to and from CloudShare Farms is just like your On Premise SharePoint Environment.
What you should do next…
1. Subscribe to our newsletter:
2. Learn how virtual labs can grow your business:
To learn more about how CloudShare helps software organizations grow revenue, increase efficiency and improve quality, visit our resources page. You’ll be able to browser dozens of valuable white papers, eBooks, webinars, case studies, and brochures.
3. Get a FREE, no obligation demo:
Discover just how easy it is to create your cloud environment—in minutes! One of our friendly virtual labs experts will be happy to:
- Show you the platform in action
- Calculate pricing for your business
- Set you up with a 14-day free trial
- Answer any questions you have
- No pressure or obligation